Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Guilty Pleasures: VHS Edition

While having a turntable and vintage wax will make you cool or hip {or whatever term the young folk are using these days}, clinging onto your VCR and cassette movies probably won't. I am one of those sad, unfashionable creatures that still watches some VHS movies. Am I the only one?

Anyhow, in celebration of this ancient technology, here are a few favourite titles that our faithful VCR chugs through.

In no particular order...

The Wicker Man {the original one!}

This movie is a staple for both Bealtaine & Samhain round here. Ir would be great if someone got on with making a real Summerisle and I would move there in a heartbeat. ;)

The Black Stallion

I loved this movie as a child because I could relate with Alec. I was never in a ship wreak nor did I race a horse in front of thousands of people; it was more the finding solace and connecting with an equine friend at a time when it seemed that life threw us both under the bus. Now I watch it when I feel like having a horsey-fix. Hopefully I can trade it in one day for the real thing. :D

The Fairy Faith

A wonderful documentary about superstitions surrounding The Good Folk. The filmmaker John Walker travels to various places interviewing people on their own views about Faeries, including Scotland, Ireland and the Canadian East Coast. Some of the folks interviewed are Brian Froud and Elizabeth-Jane Baldry.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Yeah, I know. The obligatory girly movie.

The Secret of Roan Inish

Packed full of lore and some tidbits of old Gaelic customs such as smooring the fire, this sweet movie is about an Irish girl learning about her family secrets. Every family has secrets, although I am sure not too many involve Selkies.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Who doesn't love Monty Python?

Angela's Ashes

A beautiful film about Frank McCourt's childhood in pre-WWII Ireland, which is inspired from his written memoir of the same title. Fraught with hardship and tragedy, it is a wonder that Mr. McCourt made it to the ripe old age that he did.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Lipstick. Garters. Drag. What's not to like? :D

*********

Sláinte!

Laurel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I kn ow a lot of the movies you mention, but not the one about the fairy folk. I will have to look if I can find it.
Thank you for the tips !!
Greetings from The Netherlands.

nefaeria said...

I hope that you enjoy it Monique! :)