Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kanehsatake 270 Years of Resistance

I am sure many people in Canada will remember the Oka Crisis. I was too young at the time to really appreciate the situation, and the media coverage I did see was not from the First Nations' perspective when it was happening.

Kanehsatake 270 Years of Resistance helped change that when I watched it in my early 20's. I just watched it again recently and it is still raises the hair on the back of my neck. Here is a little description of the film:

On a July day in 1990, a confrontation propelled Native issues in Kanehsatake and the village of Oka, Quebec, into the international spotlight. Director Alanis Obomsawin spent 78 nerve-wracking days and nights filming the armed stand-off between the Mohawks, the Quebec police and the Canadian army. This powerful documentary takes you right into the action of an age-old Aboriginal struggle. The result is a portrait of the people behind the barricades.

Sláinte!

Laurel




post signature

No comments: