Thursday, July 7, 2011

Just Some More Garden Peektures & YumYums

This is just a little update on how the garden is doing. Things are pretty much doing well, although we have had some issues with many of our brassicas this year, with various little buggies nomming them.

There have been hours of hand-picking off eggs and larvae and misting with a homemade insecticide. I have been pretty good at keeping my weeding vow {well, the black bindweed & hairy crab grass come out when seen}, bust as you can see from the photos below, I have left the rest in typical sentimental/lazy gardener fashion. ;)

Here are a few of the beds we have in our two veggie patches:

{bush beans, blue hubbard squash, turnips, greens, radishes currently in these two beds}

{potatoes, beets, carrots, turnips, nasturtiums, pole beans, bush beans, melons, cantaloupe, & wild tobacco in these beds right now}

{pole beans, sunflowers and pumpkins in this bed}

{the growth of the zucchini plants are now noticeable each day}

{our first tomato! it's an "old-timer"}

{russet burbank tatters}

{egg turnips & radishes in the blue container, norland tatters in the other}

{speaking of nightshades, I found some bittersweet growing underneath one of our trees}

{devon mangetout pea blossom. so pretty!}

{devon mangetout pea. we have been harvesting plenty!}

{wee hobo turnips. aren't the cute?}

Yesterday I had a huge craving for greens, so I made a quick saute and it was pretty damn good.

{another shot for beks to show her the pretty pea that was grown from seeds she sent me}

If you wanna give this a whirl...

1 tbsp olive oil
2 young turnips, cubed
Chives
Lamb's quarters
Giant red mustard
Red Russian kale
Swiss chard
Pineapple weed
Apple, chopped
3 tbsp Chive blossom vinegar

Saute turnips in olive oil for about 5 mins. Add everything else and saute for about 3 more mins and nom!

Sláinte!

Laurel

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking great! I have a container garden on my apartment patio. I never get the big harvest someone with a garden like yours will produce, but I'm very proud of it. I wish I was having better luck with my turnips... Yours look great! Thanks for sharing the insecticide. I'll have to whip up a batch myself. I haven't had any infestations so far, but the cheery tree near our house is getting overrun with Japanese beetles. I've been handpicking the rare ones off my plants and even went after a few in the tree just to be safe. Still, there are so many up high... It's really a poignant reminder that I can only influence nature so much!

bek said...

Lots of green shagginess: ace! ;)

Your mangetout have done much better than any here so it's even nicer to see those pics! I think they must not have liked the exceptionally warm weather as no-one else I passed seeds onto here have had much luck either. Not the Devon mangetout after all!

The meal you made looks more than nominally nommy! :)

nefaeria said...

ditzydruid: Thanks and your a very welcome! I am going to have a boo at your garden too. :)

Beks: Hehe, thanks! Tis still the Devon mangetout, but I find that your peas do quite like it here. I had a purple on the other day! I want to keep some on the vine for seed, but I am having a hard time doing so because they are very tasty. :)