Sunday, February 21, 2010

Guilty Pleasures: Oblivion {The Elder Scrolls IV}


So, yeah...it's been a while since I've made a 'guilty pleasures' confession.

I could have never been considered a 'gamer' before I came across Oblivion. We don't have cable in our home, and when you have long, cold Winters like I do, sometimes having a little mindless distraction is a good thing. It keeps me from constantly pining for the gardening season. ;)

I think that Oblivion itself is a pretty nifty game, but what makes it even better is all the free mods that you can add to the game if you are playing it on PC. There are so many to choose from, literally hundreds. Below are a few of my own favourites:




Morrigan Armor & Morrigan Weapons:



Comprehensive Style Collection {using Freckled Bretons & Ren's Hair}:

House Mods by Korana

There are many different house and castle mods for Oblivion, but Korana's definitely stick out from the rest. Not only are they very beautiful, but they are also interactive. Things such as spell-crafting, farming, gardening, baking, cooking, brewing, and even doing dishes and painting are just some of the features added to the two following mods.

Shadowcrest Vineyard:










Millstone Farm:













Natural Environments:

This mod improves the overall environment throughout the game, including flora and fauna, weather, the sky, and water.




Here is a video of Natural Environments:



Slof's Oblivion Horses:

There are already horses in Oblivion, but this mod greatly improves their look and adds more diversity and horses to the game {can never have too many! ;) }.





Better Cities:

This is a huge mod that is always being updated. It is a complete overhaul of all the 'vanilla' cities in the game, adding onto them, and making them more esthetically pleasing.



Here is an intro video to Better Cities:


Sláinte!

Laurel

6 comments:

Marisol said...

I play too! I love Oblivion but my favorite is Morrowind :)

Hertha said...

Wow, the photos are beautiful! I sometimes like to play Lord of the Rings on my computer. Maybe I will give this game a try!

Medusae said...

Yay for gamers! I game quite a bit, actually. Women are generally 'closet gamers' heheheh. It IS good for a bit of distraction ^.^
I play Morrowind, but Oblivion is on my list, for sure. Sometimes I play Lord of the Rings Online, Team Fortress 2, Diablo II. I've tried World of Warcraft and NeverwinterNights, but I can't really get into them. (which is probably a good thing considering how addictive these things can be.)

I love the mods you've got there! They make everything so much more rich.

Bek said...

This looks like it could become a major distraction for me during winter if I ever got hold of it! Beautiful graphics...

nefaeria said...

Wow, it's nice to see I am not the only girl gamer! ;)

Marisol: Right on! Have you tried any of the Morrowind mods? Korana {the maker of the houses} has some really nice ones by the looks of it. :)

Hertha: Thanks! Which LOTR do you play? I hope you enjoy Oblivion. :)

Medusae: I would have to agree with you! Gaming seems to somehow be a dirty little secret for some women {me included!} ;) I have never played any of the other Elder Scrolls but Morrowind looks quite nice! :)

Bek: Something to keep in mind for next Winter, when you are not busy with the Yoga and homesteading! And yes the graphics are pretty nifty. :)

perma_culture said...

This game looks beautiful =^)