Sunday, September 6, 2009

And the Sloppy 'Academic' Award Goes to....



Wanna good laugh? Watch this video, because this woman is a real piece of work.

For someone who trumpets themselves as an academic, I find it surprising that she lumps the Celts together in one category. Also, she likes to lump all Pagans in together, essentially claiming that we are all intellectually bankrupt.

If you can get past that, along with all of her babbling about Jesus being ‘the true God’, you might be interested in what I suppose is the purpose of her making this video. She is claiming that the Celtic tribes and Druids were monotheists.

I have my own doubts about that, but am willing to entertain the possibility that some of the Celtic peoples were monotheists.

It is clear from much of the lore that many ancient peoples (including Celts) payed homage to a host of deities, whether it was Lugh, Macha, Arawn, or a deity of a particular area or family. Now some may have seen all the Gods/Goddesses as one universal deity, which would have made them pantheists.

From my own research using what I think are sound sources (no, I am not an academic, and never claim to be one), it seems that it is widely accepted that the Celtic peoples were at least in part, polytheists.

The book that she is talking about in this video is called The Druids: Celtic Priests of Nature by Jean Markale. I have not read it, so I cannot comment on it. Have any of you read it?


Sláinte!

Laurel

3 comments:

Hertha said...

Hmm. I don't want to be rude but I think that this woman is a few sandwhichs short of a picnic. I have read this book and Jean Markale does hint that the druids were monotheistic in nature, which I think he failed to prove. It is a very good book otherwise. What this woman is doing is taking a shaky theory of one person and making it bigger than what it really is. She is dishonest.

Anonymous said...

just more religious bull poop.

Unknown said...

This video is truly RUBBISH. This so-called 'academic discussion' is so backwards, I wonder if she's living in opposite time. The Celts did fight in Gaul, which is present day France, after traveling from Ireland. Has she never HEARD of Julius Caesar? Commentarii de Bello Gallico is his account of meeting the Celts dating over fifty years before the birth of Christ. I suppose she has forgotten that Christians are also monotheists. The Celts are widely regarding as being polytheists. what a TOOL. An ignorant, uneducated, ill-read, simple-minded, TOOL.

My FICTIONAL novel about the Celts is more accurate that this piece of drivel.