Sunday, September 14, 2008

Root Cellars


Photo take by Abu

As the end of the growing season begins to creep on me, I am lamenting the fact that I won't be able to just pluck something I need from the balcony garden, or pick it up at our local Farmer's Market.

I've got canning, drying, and vegetables good for storage on the mind. The only problem is that I live in a relatively small apartment, and have a lack of proper storage space.

Living in an apartment can put a really damper on the attempt to be self sufficient. For those who are in my situation, you might want to check out Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits and Vegetables by Nancy and Mike Bubel They have some tips that I am going to try and put to use this year. If anyone has their own tips that they want to share, please do so in the comments. :)

In the meantime, here are a few sites about root cellars.

The Root Cellar Capital of the World, Elliston Newfoundland

A Whole wack of articles from Earth-House

How to build a small root cellar

Root cellaring from SuperNaturale

An e-book The War Gardens Victorious

Home Storage of Fruits and Vegetables in Root Cellars

Sláinte!

Laurel

No comments: